What is Polarity Therapy?
Polarity Therapy is a unique, holistic wellness practice that combines bodywork, diet, exercise, and lifestyle coaching for the singular purpose of restoring and maintaining proper energy flows throughout the body. In short, it is a way to realign your body to be in harmony with your soul.
Energy? Soul? Is this some crazy <insert a religion you don’t want to take part in> practice?
Nope. Not at all. When we talk about energy in this context we are talking about life energy in general. It is not tied to any one spiritual dogma. However, while we are on the subject, did you know that almost every spiritual tradition recognizes this universal life force energy? Yup, it’s true. In the Ayurvedic tradition, it is called prana and in Traditional Chinese Medicine qi or chi. The Hebrew term for it is ruach and the term in Christianity is Spiritus Sanctus.
So where did Polarity Therapy come from?
Do you want the short answer? Dr. Randolph Stone. The longer answer… Dr. Stone was an Austrian-American chiropractor, osteopath, and naturopath who lived from 1888-1981. He was determined to learn the fundamentals of human vitality so he traveled the globe and studied all he could. Those studies included Traditional Chinese Medicine, reflexology and Ayurvedic philosophy. He interpreted these studies through his lens of scientific and medical knowledge and Polarity Therapy became the result: an integration of Eastern and Western principles and techniques of healing.
What does a Polarity Therapy session consist of?
To be honest, no two sessions are exactly the same, even for the same individual. We change moment by moment. However, while the specifics will change, there is a general framework and you can expect the following:
- You will remain fully clothed, but you will be asked to remove your shoes and socks.
- You will be on a nice warm massage table with a cozy blanket, if you prefer. Sometimes you’ll lie on your back and sometimes on your tummy. It will vary throughout the session.
- Your practitioner will touch you at specific points using a combination of light and firm pressure, stretching, and some gentle rocking.
- Your practitioner will perform crystal clearing and lay out a pattern of crystals on your body.
Most practices can be adapted. If you don’t want to be touched at a specific point or if crystals make you uncomfortable, let your practitioner know. Always be sure to keep the lines of communication open.
Okay, I’m willing to try it. How will I feel during and after?
We can’t give you an exact answer because, once again, it varies from person to person and session to session. During the session you may experience sensations of warmth or cold, a feeling of deep relaxation, random spontaneous movement, or you might just fall asleep. We’ve seen people erupt into giggles, cry and even briefly panic. Some people have reported an electrical buzzing sensation. These sensations and emotions are all transitory and tend to fade almost as soon as you get off the table. What will most often remain is a sense of wholeness, alignment, grounding and vitality that can last for days or even weeks.
Should I do anything special before or after?
Yes! Two things:
- Make time. Arrive early so as not to feel frazzled and rushed. The more relaxed you are going into your session, the better your results may be. Leave ample time afterwards in your schedule for rest. We’ve found that, especially after the first session or two, there is a strong desire to nap. Listen to your body and rest as is appropriate for you.
- Drink lots of water after. We can’t explain how or why, but you’ll likely be really thirsty afterwards. Quench that thirst with water or a light tea. Stay away from soda or coffee. You’ll thank us for it.